Top Tips for a Healthy Toddler
- Include a wide variety of colourful fresh fruits and vegetables every day.
- Give different grains other than wheat. For example rice, quinoa, buckwheat, oats, kamut, barley, spelt and amaranth.
- Try to hide foods that are difficult to get them to eat like fish in homemade fish cakes covered in breadcrumbs.
- Always dilute fruit juice with water.
- Make you own popsicles with their favourite diluted fruit juice.
- Give unsulphured dried fruit as sweet snacks.
Strategies for Healthy Eating
- Get one good meal into your toddler every day.
- Encourage snacking every couple of hours. They need about 40kcals per inch of height. They burn calories quickly and need a constant supply of energy.
- Try to make meals and snacks varied. Different textures of foods and colours of fruits and vegetables.
- Invent and re-invent!
- Look at what they had the whole day or week for a better idea of their food intake.
- Essential fatty acids (EFA's) Omega 3 and 6
- Good bacteria – Acidophilus
- B vitamins, Vitamin C and the mineral zinc
A new study asks the question: should you eat your dessert first for weight loss? Before you celebrate, Lianne wades into the results.
A new study suggests that a plant-based diet may be beneficial in the treatment of diabetes. Lianne discusses this on SunTV.
Are probiotics really good for you? Lianne talks with Sun TV about why everyone should be thinking about their gut bacteria.
Have the Danes cracked the code on childhood obesity? Lianne discusses a new Danish study.