Cravings can happen throughout the day. Some wake up craving sweets or salty foods. Then the rest of the day unfolds with a roller coaster of binge eating with what you fancy.
Do your cravings mean something though? Or is all down to willpower?
Here are a few key interactions that are good to know:
- Chocolate cravings could have something to do with a deficiency of magnesium – raw cacao/nibs/beans or powder are excellent sources of magnesium as are whole grains, beans, nuts, seeds, greens, fruit.
- Salty cravings for chips or salted nuts could be telling you that your little stress glands–the adrenals are fatigued and crying out for help. Seeing a nutritionist or naturopath to get you on some balancing supplements like B complex and in particular B5 is a good start. More sleep, yoga, and mediation are also on the prescription for adrenal fatigue. Less of the intense workouts as that’s also seen as a stress in overworked adrenals.
- Need that coffee every morning? Most of the population do. You could do with more sulphur cruciferous vegetables like kale, cabbage, broccoli and also cranberries, horseradish, asparagus, carob powder, garlic and onion.
- Craving that burger or steak? That could be a lack of iron. Have your blood checked and see if symptoms of iron deficiency match how you are feeling.
- Hungry in the evening? That’s because you didn’t eat enough during the day. Typical of those who skip breakfast or have a carb rich start to their day. Incorporate protein from eggs, cottage cheese, or low glycemic index foods like steel cut oats or quinoa flakes or something like chia seed pudding.
- PMS cravings? The need for more food, and of course chocolate, can be because her body is preparing for pregnancy whether she is planning it or not. Hormones become more out of balance and mineral needs increase. Eat more fruits and vegetables throughout the month and less of the sugary sweet stuff and see what impact that has.
Cravings can sometimes be from a lack of willpower or emotional triggers, but with the above, it shows there’s more to it in some cases.
What are you craving right now?